Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Update Thingy

Okay, time for an update. What's happened since the last one? Quite a bit, actually. I've purchased a second sword and helmet for myself from Manning Imperial.

The helmet is a 13th century French kettle hat, in the style shown by Goliath in the Maciejowski Bible. I decided to bling it up a bit - quite often helmets were painted, and a big reason for that was general maintenance. You don't need to polish it and keep it spotless, as the paint does the job for you. So, browsed through the bible and settled on a red and blue colour scheme. I think it looks quite nice.


I bought the sword second-hand, and considering it's about ten years old it's in surprisingly good condition. Any damage on it is purely cosmetic, luckily enough, and as far as I'm concerned just adds character. It's in the style of a Norman sword, but apparently the brazil nut pommel and the slightly curved crossguard were still in use in the 13th century. It handles like a dream, and I'm actually quite surprised how much fun it really is to use it in combat.


I'll cut this fairly short now, I'm about to head off for a photography trip (read: wandering around town with Mads and a camera) in a minute. I've been invited to four events! I'm not sure of the details of two - there's a festival in Maryborough in a week or two, and one in South Australia next May. The one in SA is a fairly large one and is held every year, so hopefully I'll have enough decent kit to go along. The other two events are at Kryal Castle on the weekend of October 2nd. That one should be a lot of fun, quite a few groups are going along, including my old reenactment club. Then there's the Timeline Faire in November, replacing MMFAT for this year. It'll be a very slack event, we haven't been asked to put on a show or display so we'll most likely sit around and look pretty for the masses.

Well, that's me done. More updates to continue, probably complaining about my bruises from the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment